Thursday, November 15, 2007

DH is home

First things first ... THANK YOU so much to all of you who commented, left well wishes, prayers, & gave me calls. It really means the world to me to know that so many of you care.

Fingers crossed ... DH is now home & was given a diagnosis of myocarditis (imflamation of the heart). Below is a short definition of what it is.  Anyway, DH is still hurting a bit in his chest but they gave him meds to help manage his pain. He is only to work & do activity as tolerable ... he's stubborn so this will take an act of God to get him to sit still. His 1sgt & commander are trying to get him convalesant leave or at least quarters. They know he isn't up to work but without it in writing DH will show up tomorrow morning bright & early. He just doesn't know how to sit back & relax. I'm not sure he has much of a choice though ... almost thought he was gonna have to stay an extra night. The doc came in, gave him the all ok speach & said release papers would be in soon. He got up to get dressed & when he sat back down he clung to his chest ... had to call the nurse in for more pain meds. He pretty much refused to stay ... I can understand though, I'm pretty fond of my own space too.

Definition of Myocarditis

Myocarditis is an inflammatory condition involving the myocardium (heart muscle).  is characterized by a variety of symptoms ranging from fatigue, difficult breathing, and rapid heartbeat to sudden death from fatal arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm). Myocarditis may occur following a wide assortment of diseases, including bacterial and viral infections, immune system disorders, and the production of myocardial toxins by the body, as well as chemical and radiation exposure.

It is not clear why the same viruses cause myocarditis in some patients and different diseases - gastroenteritis, pneumonia, or hepatitis, for example - in others. Myocarditis can occur as a rare complication of bacterial infections, including diphtheria, tuberculosis, typhoidfever, and tetanus. Other infectious organisms, such as rickettsiae and parasites, may also cause inflammation in the heart muscle.

Symptoms of myocarditis vary widely.

In adults, they can sometimes mimic those of a heart attack - mild to severe pain in the center of the chest, which may radiate to the neck, shoulders, and upper arms. In severe cases, symptoms include breathlessness, rapid pulse, and heart arrhythmias. Myocarditis may be suspected whenever chest pain or arrhythmia symptoms suggestive of congestive heart failure occur during the course of an infectious illness, especially a viral one. It should also be suspected when such symptoms occur in the absence of an obvious diagnosis.

Myocarditis may start as a flu-like illness that lingers longer than the usual several days. If significant muscle damage and weakening of the heart's chambers occur, symptoms of heart failure may develop. A month or two later, the symptoms of flu (weakness and malaise) merge with symptoms of heart failure (fatigue during physical activity and shortness of breath).

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stubborn man.  Sounds like you will have your hands full holding him down.  Keep reminding him that he only has one heart and he needs it to keep going.  Probably won't work, but worth a try.  Glad he's home.  hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for you & yours. You'll do his heart good. Take care and I'll be praying for youzz.

Brenda

Anonymous said...

So pleased he is home ,Im sure you will give hin lots of TLC ,,hope he takes things easy ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he's home and doing well at least a little better. I hope they give him quarters and he can have an extra day to the weekend to recover a little more, and then the 4 day weekend next week.

God Bless

Christy

Anonymous said...

TIE HIM DOWN....that was my first response....I am so glad he is home and I am sure you all are too....HE NEEDS to give his body time for the inflammation to go down otherwise it is going to lead to bigger problems....
tell him either he rests now or he may not be around to enjoy life anymore...
I do not mean to sound morbid but his body is telling him to stop....he needs to listen....so back to my original response - TIE HIM DOWN...if you need help - let me know...lol
((((((hugs))))))) sweetie....if you need to talk I am here!!!
Prayers and positive thoughts will continue for your hubby and you and family!!!
Peace--Ellie

Anonymous said...

So glad your husband is home!!
Missie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he is at home :-)

Best wishes to you both xx

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

Anonymous said...

honey I will continue my prayers
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

oh my i hope he starts feeling better again what does dh mean again?

Anonymous said...

((((Emmi & Hubby))))) I'm so glad he is home!  I know you are also...and DH.  I will keep you both in my thoughts with candles burning.  Hugz, Teresa

Anonymous said...

Very good news, that he's home!  Hope he feels better very soon.

Hugs,

Cindy

Anonymous said...

I am glad that your husband is home.  Prayers are with you both for a quick receovery.

Ida

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he's home Emmi...my prayers and thoughts are still with u all. Tie him down if u have to so he takes it easy...he has to.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww Emmi I am so glad DH is home, wishing him a speedy recovery, Love and Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Glad he's home, Emmi.  He really needs to take it easy for a while.  My dad had that, and it took quite a while to get completely over it.  Big Hugs, Chris

Anonymous said...

So glad he is home Emmi!!!
Hope he takes it easy and gets better soon

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that he is home now also.  I know what Myocarditis is because I too have that as another illness on my chart as well.  I will keep you both in my prayers.  Hugs.  Tish G.

Anonymous said...

i have been worried about him AND you! I will pray for him...i sure hope he feels better soon. XO lj

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))I am glad He is home,I can understand why He wouldnt want to stay in the Hosiptal.You all are still in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your DH is going to be okay...it is hard for men to take it easy...hope you both have a good weekend..will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Prayers were answered and he is home with his great family...thanks for letting us know...and that is a very serious condition, for sure...take care...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the Docs found what the problem was.  

Bethe    

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that he is home and that you have been given a diagnosis.

I hope that he rests and is soon back to his usual self
hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

I do hope that everything will be ok for the future.  I will keep you all in my prayers.

Allison

Anonymous said...

My goodness, that's scary!  
I used to work on a cardiac floor, so I'm very familiar with the diagnosis.  (I'm an RN, btw.  Not sure if I've ever mentioned that before.)  

Please have your hubby take it as easy as he will.  He needs to let that heart muscle heal.  

I'll keep ya'll in my thoughts.

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

Sending my best get well wishes your way. The diagnose sounds scary. I hope your hubby will be able to take it easy and follow the doctors instructions. Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

Emmi, I am so glad he is home.  Is this something that will heal on its own with rest??  I am keeping hubby, you & your family in my prayers.  Seems to me everyone is in need of extra prayers right now for one reason or another.  Take care of yourself!!

Hugs,
Veronica

Anonymous said...

can i please have one with "Dondie".
Thanks so much,
Dondie